Monday, October 15, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Pin It
Hi! I'm Sharon and I blog at mrshinesclass.com where we cook, decorate and d.i.y. our way to a better home. I am passionate about homemaking and my house never feels more like a home than when I'm cooking.

cooking, spaghetti sauce, recipe, semi-homemade, kitchen

Spaghetti night is a family favorite in the Hines house. We have been known to use jar sauce, but lately I've gotten back into the habit of making my own sauce. Well, it's more semi-homemade. Does that make me like Sandra Lee?

This recipe has evolved over the years and I finally have "perfected" it to my liking.

Here's my recipe for the spaghetti sauce:

1 lb. ground meat

1 small white onion

3 garlic cloves minced

1 small can of tomato paste

1 regular sized can of tomatoe sauce

1 regular sized can of petite diced tomatoes, or dice your own

1/2 - 1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp parsley

1/2 - 1 tbsp basil

1/2 - 1 tbsp thyme

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

1 tbsp of sugar

salt to taste

pepper to taste

~ All seasoning measurements are estimates. The greater amounts make for a zesty sauce. For a milder flavor, go with lesser amounts.

Directions:

dice onion, mince garlic and set aside. Combine oregano, parsely, basil and thyme is small bowl and blend well.

brown ground meat. once browned, scoot to side of skillet. add onion and saute til translucent. add garlic and saute stirring often..don't want it to burn.

Stir sauted onions and garlic into the meat. Drain fat.

Salt and pepper the meat mixture according to taste. Add tomato sauce, then add paste. Mix well. Add diced tomatoes. Save empty can and fill it half full with water. Gradually stir in water to desired consistency.

Add italian seasoning blend you made and stir in well. Stir in red pepper if desired. Next add a tbsp of sugar to cut the spice. Bring to a full simmer. Reduce heat and put on lid. Let simmer for half an hour.

Serve with a tossed salad or a caprese salad and garlic toast.

Bon appetit!

Until next time,

Sharon
Pin It