Monday, February 27, 2012

Who says that Funnel Cakes are only for the Fair?!

Pin It
I have been wanting to make homemade funnel cake for sometime now. I finally decided to do it for Valentine's Day for my Daycare kids! I decided to test them out at home first... because I honestly was not sure how these would turn out! But they turned out GREAT! 

To make the "dough" this is what you need:


1 egg
                                                                                                     2/3 cup milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

And then you:


1. In a deep skillet, heat about two cups of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Test the temperature by dropping a pinch of flour into the hot oil. If it sizzles right away without smoking, it's perfect.
2. Beat egg and milk. Mix all other ingredients in a separate bowl and slowly add to the egg mixture, beating until smooth.
3. Using a funnel, drop into hot oil working from center outwards in a web pattern. (You can use a gallon sized freezer bag instead of a funnel by pouring the batter into the bag, snipping off a small corner of it, and squeezing the batter into the oil.)
I did not have a funnel so I used this baggy.. It did NOT work so well.. Using a funnel next time! :) 




4. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, remove from the oil when golden brown and crispy.




 5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.


Then baboon!! You have homemade funnel cake and it taste great. The only thing I recommend is not do what I did, I felt like it needed to be thick- not the case... IT rises as it cooks. So the smaller you make it, the quicker it will cook, and the better it will taste! 

Happy Cooking!
-Big Sis

Pin It